Monday, March 10, 2008

madrid is colder than tel aviv

So, surprisingly enough, almost 4 weeks have passed since Brian left. 10 weeks to go from today, Tuesday, March 11, until I set foot on American soil again (ah the Alabama red clay). But I am happy to have these 10 weeks here to soak everything up while I can.

I went to Salamanca for a day 3 Saturdays ago (the 23 of Feb.) with my friends Sonia and Sarah. It is a beautiful city with an insanely old university (the oldest in Spain - from 1218) and beautiful cathedrals, convents and a famously gorgeous Plaza Mayor. The architecture is lovely and most buildings in the old city are built with golden bricks that glow at sunset.

Midterms ended the following week - things went fine. I am still awaiting news from Vandy and UVa and am trying to remind myself not to be nervous about the up-and-coming results...

THEN, due to the wonders of my lovely friend Yael, I was able to visit Israel for my Spring Break last week. I was there from Saturday March 1 to the following Saturday March 8. We had such a good time and it was wonderful to spend time with Hadar and all the family... including the new one that will join us in the world next month. She was able to take a couple of days of vacation so we explored around Tel Aviv/Yaffo, Zikchron-Ya'akov, Jerusalem and Cesarea. No worries, pictures of little Hadari and beautifully pregnant Yaeli will be posted soon.

Jet lag got me for a bit and this is the first night I have been able to stay awake past 9pm. Midterms are starting again soon (I know, there's no break between midterms, it makes *no* sense). I'm heading down to Sevilla for a couple of days for Semana Santa in 2 weekends and then the first weekend in April I get to see a wonderful friend that lived with me in Sevilla with Eloisa, Manolo and Jessica - Laurita (aka Paquita) is meeting me in Bristol and we'll be travelin around Southwest England/Wales together... we have rented a car and will brave the wrong side of the road... wish us luck :P

My aunt is coming in May after we finish up classes... And when she flies home, I'll be flying home with her. I will be arriving in Huntsville, if all goes well, Tuesday, May 20, in the evening.
After that? Depends on what the powers-that-be say. Keep all digits possible crossed for me, when you can, and send happy acceptance message thoughts to Vandy admissions whenever you get the chance :)

Love and hugs to all...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so jealous of your visit with our little MIA Yael! My Spring Break was pretty fantabulous though, cuz I got to spend it with Estee and Mel in NYC! We kept it laid-back, and ate the city out of their cheese stores, so it was just what we all needed.

And just in case you needed it said, instead of simply taken for granted, I am sending out all the bestest karma for you into the universe! If, for some tragic reason, the karma fails and those crazy schools don't recognize how much they need you, just let me know and I will work a little of butt-kicking magic, okay? After all, I will be at UVA in May (Preyasha's graduation)...

Can't wait to see you!

habladora said...

Can a person actually turn green with envy? 'Cause I think I'm reaching dangerous levels back here in boring 'ol Georgia. Not that I'm not having a lovely time, I am. I do have a Wii, you know. But if given a choice between having a lovely time here and having lovely times all over the world, well...